Three Myths About Exercise & Weight Loss
"If there's something weird and it don't look good, who ya gonna call? Ghostbusters!" Okay, we all know that song, but we're going to be myth busters today! "Busting what myths?" you ask. We're going to bust three myths about exercise and weight loss.
Myth #1: Being a vegetarian means that you're sure to lose weight and have a healthier body.
Choosing a vegetarian diet with low fat content may be helpful for weight loss, but vegetarians can make food choices that contribute to weight gain. The reason for this is because they large amounts of high fat, high-calorie foods, or foods with little or no nutritional value. A vegetarian diet should be as carefully planned as a non-vegetarian diet to make sure they are well-balanced and nutritious. Nutrients that non-vegetarians normally get come from animal products, but aren't always found in a vegetarian diet such as:
- Vitamin D
- Vitamin B12
Myth #2: If you cut out every dessert known to man, then you'll lose weight fast and keep it off.
Don't believe this lie! Food deprivation is the downfall of every diet. You can have that dessert you love so much to satisfy your sweet tooth and still stick to your diet just remember the word "portion." So, treat yourself, but don't go overboard. Dieters who deprive themselves tend to go overboard when they have candy, cake, or cookies. So make a good choice of what you include in your diet. Try these ideas that will keep you healthy:
- When you have that uncontrollable craving for that tempting chocolate, don't fight it. Yes, you heard that right. Eat a small portion of chocolate, not the whole cake, though! This will ensure your diet will not suffer.
- Choose a healthier choice of dessert than a fattening one. For obvious reasons, the healthier choice won't hurt your diet or your figure.
Myth #3: Exercise burns lots of calories, so you don't need to exercise a lot.
Contrary to popular belief (and hopes, for that matter) exercising doesn't burn a lot of calories. Walking or running a mile burns only about 100 calories; however, sitting still for the same amount of time burns about only 50 or 60 calories. You don't have to expend all your energy at the gym, making your muscles sore. Try these activities that are sure to jump start your weight loss and your life:
- Walking. A brisk pace for 30-45 minutes everyday is a safer and better way to lose weight than pushing yourself for that extra hour and a half for that 5-mile mark. Don't over-exert yourself.
- Swimming. You're probably thinking how could something so fun actually be healthy for you! It's true because the weight of the water is better resistance than your muscles alone.
- Biking. Riding through a beautiful park or a nature trail is a great way to burn calories and have fun at the same time.
- Stair climbing. Climb those stairs instead of taking an elevator when shopping.
- Wash the car instead of taking through an expensive drive-thru car wash.
- Mow the lawn instead of paying some else to do it for you.
Now that you have know the myths about exercise and weight loss, you don't have to become a vegetarian and you don't have to stress about an extra 20 miles a day of exercise!