Antioxidant-Rich Chocolate Helps in Weight Loss
Chocolate has had a long and rich history. Today, current studies are adding to that history by proclaiming chocolate not only delicious, but good for our bodies as well. There are so many forms of chocolate, which one is the best for you?
What Are Antioxidants?
Antioxidants protect your body from harmful molecules and are found in plants and minerals. The best sources of antioxidants are fruits and vegetables, but they can also be found in wine, tea, chocolate, and in supplement form.
But in Chocolate?
Chocolate is said to be rich in antioxidants in the same way red wine and tea are. Chocolate comes from the caoao plant and cacao is rich in antioxidant flavinols. The more non-fat cocoa in chocolate, the better it is for you.
Chocolate by Any Other Name
All chocolate is different. We can find dark, milk, and white chocolate, as well as cocoa powder, chocolate syrups, and hot chocolate mixes.
- Chocolate syrups and mixes often contain extra ingredients and little actual cocoa. These are not great sources of antioxidants.
- White chocolate actually contains no cacao at all.
- Milk chocolate is a mixture of cacao and a milk product and may contain hydrogenated oils instead of cocoa butter, a natural product.
- Dark chocolate is made of anywhere from thirty to ninety percent or more cacao. It has the more antioxidants and fewer fat or calories than milk chocolate.
- Cocoa Powder is pure cacao and has the highest source of antioxidants. Use this in baking, in making your own hot chocolate mix, and anywhere else.
Breaking It Down
- Cocoa has 60 calories and 1.5 grams of fat
- Unsweetened or Dark Chocolate has 140 calories and 14 grams of fat.
- Milk Chocolate has 270 calories and 17 grams of fat.
Not All Chocolate Is Equal
Take care when selecting your chocolate. Choose darker chocolate over milk, and explore the very dark (seventy percent or higher) chocolates. Savor your chocolate like you would a glass of wine and notice its flavors. Try organic or shade grown chocolate bars as well.
Chocolate As Dessert
Chocolate melted and poured over fresh berries, mixed into warm milk or soy milk, or blended into milk and coffee can make a delicious and healthy dessert. Using chocolate, any dessert can be good for you.