How to Care for Your Adrenals
If you are craving sugar or feel like you are going to rip someone’s head off if you don’t get food this very minute, you may be suffering from an exhausted adrenal gland. Adrenal glands help your body handle stress, but if they are low functioning, you can experience many symptoms that could become life-threatening if it is not taken care of right away. The following are some diet and activity suggestions to help you care for your adrenals so that you can live a long and happy life.
Change Your Diet
In order to treat adrenal insufficiency, there are several things you can cut out or add to your diet. Some of these include:
• Sugar: Many forms of sugar, including energy drinks, can make your stress levels worse. If you want to get an energy boost or elevate your mood, try eating some dark chocolate or ribose. Vitamin powder is also a great way to put some energy into your body without raising your stress level.
• Caffeine: High amounts of caffeine may give you a boost, but soon enough you will crash. One way to get the right amount of caffeine is to drink green tea, which has theanine in it which can keep your mind clear and calm.
Other tips may include:
• Keeping a low carbohydrate, high-protein diet: Eating in this way provides long-lasting energy and prevents energy dips throughout the day.
• Increasing your Vitamin C intake: Vitamin C is an important part of keeping your adrenals functioning and can also help with your immune system.
• Consuming licorice: Licorice can help maintain your body’s level of adrenal hormones. It can also help ease indigestion.
Visit a Naturopath
Naturopathic physicians are holistic health practitioners skilled at assessing the current health of your adrenals and prescribing gentle treatments that soothe the body and help to reduce stress. One of their principal beliefs is that the body has the power to heal itself with enough support, and they endeavor to provide this support through nutritional counseling, acupuncture, and bioidentical hormone therapy, among many other methods.
Keep Stress Away
Excessive stress is a major cause of exhausted adrenal glands. To keep your adrenals healthy, it is important that you keep your stress level low. If you are watching the news or an action-packed movie and find yourself stressing over what you are viewing, turn it off. Instead, find some activities that will reduce your stress and keep your body calm. Some of these activities could include:
• Reading a book.
• Making a list of things you need to get done.
• Going for a jog or swim.
• Taking a snack break from work.
It is important to know how to care for your adrenals so that they can efficiently handle your stress and make you feel better. Keeping stress away and improving your diet can go a long way in keeping fatigue, infections, and other symptoms at bay before they become severe or even life- threatening.