What exactly is the female reproductive system?
The female reproductive system is a womans reproductive organs. This includes the ovaries, fallopian tubes, vulva, vagina, and uterus. Ovaries are the size of an almond, and contain thousands of eggs. However many eggs a woman have is all that she will ever have. The fallopian tubes come from each side of the uterus and are used to transport the egg from the ovary to the uterus. The vulva is all the external female genitial. The vagina is the internal sex organ spanning from the outside of the vaginal opening to the neck of the uterus. Lastly, the uterus is the organ where the fetus grows and receives nourishment.
What is a Candida Yeast Infection?
A Candida Yeast infection is a yeast infection that can occur in different areas of the body. These areas include the mouth and vagina, but one of the most commonly known is the vaginal yeast infection. It is caused by a fungal organism called Candida albicans.
How does a Candida yeast infection happen?
This type of infection results from the bodys own bacteria becoming unbalanced. The bad bacterium takes over and the infection then happens. Candida is usually found in small amounts in different area of the body (skin, mouth, vagina, digestive tract) without causing disease.
What are symptoms of a Candida yeast infection?
- Vaginal discharge that is abnormal
- Redness or swelling in the vagina area
- Painful sexual intercourse
- Painful urination
What are treatment options for a yeast infection?
Genital candiditis can be treated with over the counter or prescriptions medications. Both varieties are anti-fungal and come in the forms of pills, creams, or suppositories. The medication works in that it breaks down the wall of the Candida organism. It eventually disappears. The drug also does not allow the organisms to multiply.
What are the factors that can lead to a Candida yeast infection?
- Immune system lower than normal
- Scented douches
- HIV infection
- Poor diet
- Birth control pills
- Wearing tight clothing
- Wearing synthetic fabrics (spandex, lycra, nylon)
- Wearing wet bathing suits or workout wear for long periods of time
What can I do to prevent getting a yeast infection?
- Wear loose fitting clothing
- Wear natural fiber undergarments
- Use proper toilet habits
- Avoid scented tampons, douches, and sprays
- Avoid hot tubs, bubble baths, and whirlpools
What questions should I ask my doctor about Candida yeast infections?
- What might have been the cause?
- What are the signs?
- How can I prevent getting yeast infections again?
- What is the best treatment method for me?
- Are their any vitamins or natural supplements that I can use?