Disease Causes of Erectile Dysfunction: Vascular Disease
Vascular disease refers to diseases involving the cardiovascular system. There are many different types of vascular disease, including:
- Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm
- Aortic Dissection
- Buerger's Disease
- Carotid Artery Disease
- Critical Limb Ischemia
- Congenital Vascular Malformation
- Deep Vein Thrombosis
- Peripheral Arterial Disease
- Pulmonary Embolism
- Portal Hypertension
- Raynaud's Disease
- Renovascular Hypertension
- Varicose Veins
Many types of vascular disease can put a patient at risk for erectile dysfunction. This is because many vascular diseases are associated with damage to the blood vessels.
Blood flow is extremely important to achieving a successful erection, so any compromise of blood vessel health can be detrimental.
If you have a type of vascular disease, you may be at risk for erectile dysfunction. There are certain measures you can take to reduce your risk of developing erectile dysfunction.
- Stop smoking. Smoking can cause a myriad of heart and other health problems. A healthy cardiovascular system is very important for getting an erection, and smoking is extremely detrimental to the cardiovascular system.
- Maintain a healthy weight. being overweight is also hard on your cardiovascular system, causing undue stress on your body.
- Start an exercise program. Exercise also helps keep the cardiovascular system strong. Many studies have shown the various benefits of exercise on the heart and lungs, as well as other body parts. Exercise will also help you with maintaining a healthy weight.
- Do not consume alcohol or illegal drugs. Alcohol and many illegal drugs can have a depressive effect on the nervous system. They have also been known to lead to health problems that cause erectile dysfunction.
- Examine your medication program. Certain medications have been shown to enhance the risk of erectile dysfunction. Talk to your health practitioner to find out if any of your medications might cause erectile dysfunction. Get your health practitioner's approval before switching medication.
If eliminating other possible causes of erectile dysfunction does not solve your problem, you can try some treatment options. Common treatments of erectile dysfunction include:
- Surgical implants. If they are put in correctly, surgical penis implants are 100% effective. Since they require surgery, risks of infection and other risks commonly associated with surgery may apply.
- Penis pumps are inexpensive and low-risk, but can be cumbersome and awkward.
- Herbal supplements are a safe, all-natural way to treat your sexual dysfunction.