Alternative Treatments For Erectile Dysfunction
When it comes to alternative treatments, most people have a certain amount of skepticism. In the case of erectile dysfunction, a common disorder that has many potential causes, some people are actually having positive results thanks to alternative treatments.
What is Erectile Dysfunction?
Erectile Dysfunction (ED) is when a man repeatedly fails to achieve or sustain erection over a prolonged period of time. While ED is not a disease in and of itself, it can be a symptom of a more serious condition, such as diabetes, vascular complications, Parkinson's or several other ailments. ED can be caused by a variety of things from the aforementioned conditions, to obesity, depression, pelvic injury, emotional trauma, smoking, drinking and/or a poor diet. Since the root cause of ED may be difficult to diagnose, some sufferers would rather try something alternative than resort to traditional, often invasive, treatment procedures offered in classically clinical settings.
There are four basic treatments offered in the mainstream world.
- Surgery: Implants are installed into the penis. This is often a last resort as the surgery is invasive and inconvenient. These are also very expensive and irreversible.
- Vacuum Pumps: A device is used to draw blood into the penis prior to sexual intercourse. While this treatment does not rely on drugs or incisions, many find it embarrassing and time-consuming. A ring will be fitted to the penis and placed at the base, thereupon preventing blood from exiting the penis for the duration of intercourse.
- Oral Medication: Prescription medicines, many of which have various undesirable side effects like any medication, can be used.
- Counseling: Occasionally, ED may be the result of some emotional trauma. Depression, anxiety, stress, relationship fears/turmoil, or other psychological troubles can all lead to an inability to become physically aroused. Counseling can help to alleviate this problem, or rule it out if the cause of ED is unknown.
Then there are the alternative treatments:
- Acupuncture: A traditional Chinese medicinal practice, acupuncture involves placing thin, solid needles into very specific points mapped out across the body. Acupuncture is supposed to correct assist the immune system and is often used by people seeking alternative treatments.
- Herbal remedies/supplements: Also based on traditional medicines, herbal remedies often include a blend of ingredients known to combat ED. Ingredients like ginseng, zinc and L-Arginine are often included for their various medicinal properties. A good supplement will work to increase libido by including natural aphrodisiac, promote a healthy cardiovascular system to ensure blood flow to the penis and work on restoring any damaged tissue. The production of nitrous oxide is also important as it's essential for blood vessel dilation and penis erections. Many people like herbal supplements because they are made from all-natural materials, meaning they're safer than prescription drugs and have few negative side effects.