Natural Alternatives To Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT)
The Dangers of Hormone Replacement TherapyHormone replacement therapy, or HRT, has been touted in recent years as the solution for menopause. However, recent studies conducted by the Women's Health Initiative have shown that the risks outweigh the benefits. For some women, HRT does not produce any noticeable improvements. There are two different types of hormone replacement therapy: estrogen only or estrogen/progesterone combination. These hormones can be derived from plant or animal sources, or can be artificially synthesized.
MenopauseMenopause is a natural process that is part of aging. Menopause occurs when the production of the hormones estrogen and progesterone by the ovaries begins to fluctuate. Menopause can also be triggered by a hysterectomy if one or both ovaries are removed. Some of the symptoms of menopause are:
- Mood swings
- Night sweats
- Hot flashes
- Vaginal dryness
- Irregular heartbeat
- Bladder control
- Muscle soreness
- Sleep disturbances
- Mental disturbances: Memory loss, difficulty concentrating, and mental confusion
Natural TreatmentsFortunately, these unpleasant symptoms can be alleviated without the harmful effects of hormone therapy.
- Exercise: getting moderate exercise can help alleviate some symptoms like hot flashes
- Healthy diet: this will improve your general health.
- Quitting Smoking
- certain beans
- Spicy foods
- Hot beverages
- Black cohosh. This herb has been shown to decrease the amount and severity of hot flashes, and helps with anxiety.
- Hesperidins are flavonoids found in the peel of citrus fruits. They decrease night sweats, hot flashes, and cramps.
- Rice bran oil can help regulate hormone levels.
- Sage leaf helps reduce night sweats and balance moods.
- St. John's Wort
- Vitamin E works as a natural, safe estrogen substitute.
[sniplet Menopol]Sources: http://www.cwhn.ca/resources/faq/alternatives-ht.html http://familydoctor.org/online/famdocen/home/women/reproductive/menopause/738.html http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hormone-therapy/WO00046