Choosing the Right Workout Partner
“When we dream alone, it is only a dream, but when many dream together, it is the beginning of reality.” -Friedensreich Hundertwasser
I see it all the time. Being in the fitness industry, working with bodybuilders, athletes, and people on many fitness levels, I’ve noticed motivation spiral down from an impressive compulsion toward excellence to a loss of passion, focus, and desire. After awhile, people find themselves bored of their regular workout routine and less motivated to exercise as a result.
When people hit this stage there are two things that tend to happen :
- Time spent at the gym decreases and
- They quit exercising altogether.
Motivation is key to keeping exercise to reaching your goals and maintaining long-term success in the gym or in life.
Is all this familiar?
Don't give up. Change things up.
Find a workout buddy!
You Don’t Have To Do It Alone!
We all need external motivation to get us through the workout. Find someone to sweat through those tough times with you.
While you can absolutely work out alone; and in fact, there are times when you will need to go it solo, the best bet for success with an exercise regimen is a faithful and genuine workout partner. Having a workout buddy gives you both the sense of being held accountable and not wanting to let the other person down and increases both of your odds of reaching shared goals and accomplishments.
Finding the Right Workout Partner!
This said, there is nothing worse than getting that instant message, text message, or voicemail from an unreliable, slacker workout partner that doesn’t keep commitments. The wrong partner can bring you down by suggesting and practicing bad habits. Choosing good partner is important. A good partner:
- Likes working out. Find someone who is genuine, enjoys working out, and can increase your performance.
- Has similar goals. Find someone with similar fitness goals.
- Will swap ideas with you. Exercising with a friend gives you something to look forward to. Instead of engaging in the same workout routine, a partner can suggest new techniques, exercises, and add variety to your routine. Having a workout partner helps keep your workout feeling fresh, keeping your mind and body focused.
- Pushes you. Having a workout buddy can increase your level of fitness. Working out with someone who’s a little stronger, faster, or at least on the same fitness level, will challenge you to be your best and vice versa.