What is Oligotherapy?
In the 1940's, as doctors began to better understand the way our bodies use minerals, oligotherapy was designed to balance them - removing excess minerals while supplementing any deficiencies. Minerals and trace minerals, we must understand, are required for the very functioning of biological processes in our bodies. Thus, when there is imbalance - whether excess or deficiency - health will suffer in a wide range of ways. Still new, oligotherapeutics are most commonly seen within homeopathy where they are utilized as a base, a means to promote enzyme function and a way to increase the bio-availability of the homeopathic ingredients. However, oligotherapeutics are useful stand-alone treatments in their own right. What is Oligotherapy? To put it simply, oligotherapy is the use of ionic and trace minerals for health.
While allopathic, or "conventional", medicine would have you believe that health is a black and white issue - you have it, or you don't - oligotherapy, as with other holistic methods, acknowledges an in-between state called "functional pathology." This sort of dis-ease in the body is one that may only affect life quality in small ways - like the aches and pains we are trained to view as "normal" and "acceptable." Yet, these "acceptable" discomforts may well be signs of a more serious dis-ease's development. What many people don't understand about symptoms is that they are not the dis-ease itself. They are the result of our body trying to fend it off. They are signals from our body that something is wrong. Holistic practioners know that ignoring these signals is a mistake, because as dis-ease progresses, the body will become louder and more demonstrative in its distress and symptoms. It is this development that holistic treatment, including oligotherapy, aims to prevent.
The body must maintain a specific internal balance called "homeostasis" to function properly. Disruption of our biochemical make-up or the enzymatic processes that control them will produce first pathology and then disease. Of these pathologies, there are four main types which oligotherapy identifies and uses to provide targeted treatment - hyper-reactive, hypo-reactive, distonic and anergical.
- Personality: Extroverted, tends to over-react.
- Energy: Very low in the morning, but grows through the day with most energy at night. Often has trouble falling asleep.
- Symptom Appearance: Symptoms appear suddenly and intensely.
- Complaints: Disorders that are excessive or "hyper"- Allergic reactions and asthma, Cardiovascular problems - palpitations, chest pain, hypertension, Dermatitis. Digestive problems- gastritis, food intolerances, Arthritis, Endocrine problems.
- Important Minerals: Manganese and Phosphorus
- Personality: Introverted, mellow, not easily phased.
- Energy: Energy tends to be lower, but best in the morning. They tend to need a lot of recuperative sleep.
- Symptom Appearance: Disorders progress slowly, building, repetitive, and infectious in nature.
- Complaints: Lowered metabolism, Recurrent infections -Bronchitis, Tonsillitis, Yeast infection, Skin affliction - Eczema, Acne, Teeth and bone calcification problems, Endocrine malfunctions.
- Important Minerals: Manganese and Copper.
Distonic Pathology (Advanced Hyper-Reactive Pathology)
- Personality: Extroverted, tends to over-react, irritable with an inability to handle stress. Extreme anxiety.
- Energy: Intense fatigue primarily in the morning and early afternoon. Sleep pattern is disturbed with frequent waking.
- Symptom Appearance: Gastrological, Cardiovascular and Arthritic disorders begin to appear.
- Complaints: Parasthesia, Neuropathy, Vertigo, Tinnitus, Hypertension, Non-Allergic Asthma, Spasms, Irritable Bowel syndrome, Ulcers, Pancreatic Insufficiency, Menopause and osteoarthritis.
- Important Minerals:Manganese and Cobalt.
Anergical Pathology (Advanced Hypo-Reactive Pathology)
- Personality: Introverted, mellow, major anxiety and depression, disinterest.
- Energy: Intense and chronic fatigue that is not relieved by rest.
- Symptom Appearance: The most acute pathology. Moving into disease state as the immune system begins to shut down.
- Complaints: Severe and chronic infections - Pneumonia, Streptococcus, and Chronic Sinusitis. Resistance to antibiotics.
- Useful Minerals: Copper, Magnesium, Zinc.