The study of chakras is often compared to the practice of acupuncture, and indeed, the energy centers do bear a striking resemblance.
Similar to the points targeted in acupuncture, "chakras" are the term practitioners give to certain spots of concentrated energy throughout the body. Ideally, these centers, mainly located from the base of the spine to the top of your head, will allow energy to flow efficiently throughout your body and support your optimal physical, mental and emotional health.
However, certain experiences we have can weaken, disorient, or even completely block the energetic flow through our chakras. When this happens, you may begin to notice physical, mental and/or emotional symptoms associated with the affected chakra, and often another chakra will become overactive in order to compensate. Below you'll find an introduction to each of the seven main chakras (there are actually hundreds of mini chakras throughout the body) - plus, the symptoms associated with both over and under activity, what a perfect balance would look like, its associations and an appropriate affirmation. Keep in mind that stressed chakra centers may fluctuate between over and under-activity. You may find that some are strong points for you, while others need more of your attention.
The Root Chakra
The first chakra begins at the base of your spine. It represents groundedness and basic physical needs such as food, shelter and security. A person with a closed or underactive root chakra will likely feel unattached and "flighty". They tend to move from place to place and never quite feel at home. A person with an overactive root chakra may have a hard time changing anything. They will feel stuck and stagnant.
- Symptoms of Overload: Little energy. Clumsiness, obesity, and/or constipation.Over-attachment to material things, greedy.
- Symptoms of Blockage: Impulsive, hyperactive and reckless tendencies. May suffer from anorexia.
- A Perfect Balance: Feeling physically healthy and grounded, with good energy and the security of a good home and enough money.
- Associated with: The color red. If you are experiencing blockage in this chakra, try adding elements of red in your wardrobe, home and office.
- Affirmation: I am safe and secure. I am centered and grounded.
The Sacral Chakra
The second chakra is located between the genitals and belly button, near the sacral spine (thus its name). It governs our creative abilities - both artistically and reproductively. An individual with a closed or underactive sacral chakra will tend to be repressed and uninspired, while a person with an overactive sacral chakra will tend to be obsessed with sex and creative pursuits.
- Symptoms of Overload: A tendency for sexual addiction, promiscuity, and obsession with romance, sex and creative pursuits.
- Symptoms of Blockage: A tendency towards prudishness, frigidity/emotional coldness, impotence, creative blocks, repression and infertility.
- A Perfect Balance: Feeling comfortable with sexuality. Enjoying healthy relationships and using creativity in constructive ways.
- Associated with: The color orange. If you are experiencing blockage in this chakra, try adding elements of orange in your wardrobe, home and office.
- Affirmation: I have the power of creation within me. I am free to express my sexuality.
The Solar Plexus Chakra
The third chakra is located just above the belly button. It is our personal power center, and governs our sense of self and self-esteem. A person with an underactive solar plexus chakra needs to build their sense of self. They aren't sure who they are or what they want, so they allow others to call the shots. A person with an overactive solar plexus will try to control others.
- Symptoms of Overload: Tendency toward anxiety, aggression, control-issues, arrogance and willfulness. May suffer from ulcers.
- Symptoms of Blockage: Tendency toward indifference, passivity, victim mentality and disempowerment. May suffer from indigestion.
- A Perfect Balance: Works well with others, is productive, focused, and flexible, they are empowered.
- Associated with: The color yellow. If you are experiencing blockage in this chakra, try adding elements of yellow in your wardrobe, home and office.
- Affirmation: I am happy with the person I am. I am free to express my thoughts and feelings.
The Heart Chakra
The fourth chakra, located by the heart, is appropriately named the heart chakra. It governs feelings of love and our ability to maintain healthy relationships with others. People with an underactive heart chakra distrust others, and they avoid close relationships and tend to be cold and distant. People with an overactive heart chakra are afraid to be alone, and so they are overly nice and clingy. They have a tendency to become doormats.
- Symptoms of Overload: They are overly trusting, nice and giving. They tend to smother loved ones and be codependent and enabling with partners. May suffer from a weak heart.
- Symptoms of Blockage: Tendency to be skeptical of others, cold, distant, self-centered, and lack compassion. May suffer from low immunity.
- A Perfect Balance: Loving, warm, and affectionate, accepting of both others and of self.
- Associated with: The color green. If you are experiencing blockage in this chakra, try adding elements of green in your wardrobe, home and office.
- Affirmation: I am worthy of love and capable of loving. My love for myself and others is unconditional.
The Throat Chakra
The fifth chakra in located in the throat by the vocal cords. This chakra governs our communication - verbal, written, and artistically expressed. An underactive throat chakra leads to a lack of confidence and difficulties in expressing thoughts and feelings. A person with an overactive throat chakra is over confident and though they talk eloquently, they have a difficult time listening to others' input.
- Symptoms of Overload: Tendency to be overly talkative and bad listeners. Tend to be argumentative and critical. Act like they are smarter than those around them. May suffer from sore throats and overactive thyroid.
- Symptoms of Blockage: Tend to be shy, without confidence, and have trouble expressing thoughts and feelings. Lack trust in their own opinions. May suffer from asthma and underactive thyroid.
- A Perfect Balance: Expressive and well-spoken, can listen as well as talk.
- Associated With: Sky blue color. If you are experiencing blockage in this chakra, try adding elements of sky blue in your wardrobe, home and office.
- Affirmation: I feel free to express my truth. My thoughts and feelings are worth hearing.
The Brow Chakra
The sixth chakra is located between your eyebrows, and is often referred to as the "third eye" chakra. It is responsible for conscience. A person with an underactive brow chakra is wandering through life without any goals or thoughts. An overactive brow chakra can cause a person to become so concerned with the planning of their life, they forget to live it!
- Symptoms of Overload: Overly logical and constantly making plans they don't act on. Tend to live inside their heads and think in overly abstract ways. May suffer from headaches or even hallucinations.
- Symptoms of Blockage: Lacks logic and ability to think abstractly. Is forgetful and tends to act without thinking. May suffer from vision or eye problems.
- A Perfect Balance: Alert andintelligent with a good memory. Thoughtful and insightful.
- Associated With: Indigo blue color. If you are experiencing blockage in this chakra, try adding elements of indigo in your wardrobe, home and office.
- Affirmation: I am the master of my destiny. I trust my inner vision.
The Crown Chakra
The seventh and final chakra is located at the top of the head. It is responsible for our connection with the spiritual realm. A person with an underactive crown chakra sees no higher purpose to life. They tend to be cynical and depressed. However, an overactive crown chakra may cause a person to lose touch with reality and forget about their physical needs.
- Symptoms of Overload: Tendency to be ungrounded and out of touch with the real world. They have trouble meeting physical needs. They feel out of place on Earth. Prone to schizophrenia, epilepsy and Alzheimer's.
- Symptoms of Blockage: Lack of spiritual awareness or beliefs. Lack a high purpose of direction or life. They are stuck in the mundane. Prone to depression, fear and cynicism.
- A Perfect Balance: Incorporates both spiritual and earthly aspects of life.Realizes the importance of both planning and action. Has a fulfilling spiritual life and deep connection with the Divine.
- Associated with: Violet or White, Consciousness. If you are experiencing blockage in this chakra, try adding elements of violet or white in your wardrobe, home and office.
- Affirmation: I am thankful for my life and experiences. I accept my spiritual worth and embrace my connection with the Divine.
Pst! Like this? I've got a blog too. Follow me Mondays at Mindfull!