Share
You could earn SmartPoints on this page!SmartPoint Coin

December 15, 2007 at 11:17 AMComments: 0 Faves: 0

Hair Loss Facts

By Smarty More Blogs by This Author

Hair loss is a fact of life for many men and women. Baldness can be caused by many varying factors. Here are some important facts about hair loss that you should know:

Fact: Hair loss can be caused by your genes from either side of your family, not just your mother's side as the common myth goes. Genetic hair loss is hormonal. When the body processes the hormone testosterone (which both men and women have), chemicals called androgens are produced. In some people, androgens can gradually kill the hair follicle.

Fact: About 90% of the hair on a healthy scalp is in a growth phase. A growth phase usually lasts between 2 and 6 years. The other 10% is in a resting phase, which may last anywhere from 2-3 months. At the end of the resting phase, the hair falls out and new hair begins to grow from the follicle.

Fact: 96% of Caucasian men will experience some degree of hair loss in their lifetime.

Fact: The average person has between 80,000 and 120,000 hairs on their head. You would have to lose over 50% of your hair in a particular area before it became noticeable to others.

Fact: Certain medications can cause hair loss. Additionally, oral contraceptives (birth control pills) have been known to cause hair loss in some women.

Fact: Harsh hair treatments can cause damage to the hair, causing it to break off. Usually baldness because of abuse of the hair is not permanent. Avoid using harsh chemicals on your hair, like those used for dyeing, bleaching, perming, or straightening. You should also be careful with heat styling tools like hair dryers and curling irons. If you burn the hair it may crack off. Dehydrated hair is also prone to breakage.

Fact: Wearing your hair in very tight hairstyles like tight ponytails or cornrows can cause traction alopecia, which is usually temporary.

Fact: Pregnancy causes hair to be retained, i.e., hair that normally would have fallen out stays attached to the head. After the baby is born, these excess hairs begin to fall out. If this happens, don't worry. It is natural and it doesn't mean you are going bald.

Fact: Scalp infections can cause hair loss. A common fungal infection that can affect the scalp is ring worm. Once the fugal infection is cleared up, the hair will regrow.

Fact: Illness or surgery can cause hair loss. If you had a serious illness, flu, surgery, high fever, etc. and are now experiencing hair loss, this will not result in permanent baldness. Large amounts of stress on the body can force the hair into a "resting' phase, where little new hair growth occurs. In a few months, the growth cycle usually returns to normal.

Fact: Painful surgeries and dangerous medications are not the only ways to deal with unsightly hair loss. Try an all natural hair loss solution.

Sources: http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/466530_3

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hair-loss/DS00278/DSECTION=3

http://www.ishrs.org/hair-loss/hair-loss-male.htm

Photo Credit: jamelah

More from Smarty Others Are Reading

0 Comments

Comment on the Smart Living Network


Site Feedback