Strawberry Spooks, Banana Ghosts, & Candied Pumpkin Seeds: Healthy Halloween Treats for the Entire Family!
Oh, Halloween. That devilishly tasty holiday overflowing with sweet treats seemingly priming our taste buds for the calorie-rich foods to be ingested over the next few months as the day kicks off the holiday season.
I am always ready to celebrate a fun holiday, though I’m not always ready for the sugar hangover the next day – nor attempting to squeeze into a pair of jeans after mass candy consumption! Yet, a sweet treat (or two) is a Halloween requirement, which is why I've been digging around for some lighter versions to satisfy the sweet tooth. After some thorough inspection, I must admit that I'm quite pleased with the results. It turns out that the supermarket is filled with healthy options; they just require a bit of investigation.
Here are a few of my must-haves for this Halloween. Whether you want to make your own or pick something up from the store, there's something here for everyone!
- ACT II Mini Bags Candy Corn Flavor Popcorn. Not perfect ingredient-wise, but they get the job done with only 150 calories and 5 grams of fat per bag.
- Kind Bar’s Dark Chocolate Cherry Cashew. 180 calories and 9 grams of heart-healthy fat. Nutritious and delicious - 'nuff said.
- Chocolate Brownie Clif Kid Z Bar. Husband approved and 100% natural.
- Candied Pumpkin Seeds. Easy to make! Simply wash freshly picked pumpkin seeds, sprinkle with brown sugar, and roast.
- Strawberry Spooks. Strawberries dipped into white chocolate with a drizzled chocolate face.
- Caramel Apple with Nuts. At least this sugary coating has fiber-rich fruit on the inside and good-for-you fat on the outside.
- Banana Ghost Pops. Just dip a frozen banana into orange juice, roll it into a bowl of shredded coconut, and top it off with a raisin face.
- Pumpkin Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting. Who can resist? This one is definitely my favorite!