2 Minute Eggs and 3 Other Protein-Packed Breakfast Recipes
If you had time to read my latest blog post on protein, I imagine you are scrounging for fresh meal ideas to pack a bit more protein into your day. And I am certain you now recognize the benefits of protein in combination with carbohydrates and fat, rather than either alone. So, instead of munching on a heaping bowl of sugar-rich cereal with minimal protein like the new Pink Melonberry Froot Loops (offering a single gram of protein), aim for protein instead.
Here are a few tasty ways to kick-start your morning without having to reach for that first (or third) cup of coffee:
Quick and Simple:
- 10 large strawberries stuffed with ¼ cup reduced-fat feta cheese (7.5 grams protein)
- 1 cup yogurt (13 grams protein)with a sprinkling of your favorite granola and berries
- Add ¼ cup cottage cheese to your morning oatmeal (14 grams protein)
- Apple slices topped with 2 Tbsp peanut butter and a glass of milk (15 grams protein)
2 Minute Egg-in-a-Mug
- 2 eggs (or ½ cup egg substitute such as Egg Beaters)
- 1 ounce light shredded cheese (1 diced wedge of the Laughing Cow Light Swiss Cheese is divine!)
- Spray your mug with cooking spray and add your eggs and cheese.
- Microwave for about 60 seconds, stir, and microwave for another 30-60 seconds (as soon as it is firm like scrambled eggs).
- Stir, grab your spoon, and eat.
Open-Faced Egg and Avocado
- 1 slice whole grain bread
- 1 egg
- ½ avocado, sliced
- Prepare your egg in a skillet to your preference; my favorite is sunny –side up!
- Place your cooked egg onto your toast and top with avocado slices.
- Excellent with a side of grapefruit.
PB and J Burritos
- 1 whole grain tortilla
- 2 Tbsp peanut butter (or your preferred nut or seed butter of choice)
- 1-2 Tbsp fresh jam (make your own 5 minute quick jam with fresh strawberries for the most flavor!)
- Warm your tortilla over the flame of your gas burner or simply heat it in a pan over low heat. This gives your tortilla a hearty homemade feel!
- Spread your peanut butter and jam down the center of the tortilla, roll it up and enjoy!
- 1 cup plain nonfat yogurt (I prefer Greek yogurt)
- 1/3 cup quinoa (TIP: I like to make a larger batch each week to use in multiple recipes as it may be held in therefrigerator for up to seven days. 1 cup dry quinoa will make 3 cups cooked.)
- 1-2 Tbsp black currants (or if they are too tart for you, substitute sliced black cherries instead)
- Prepare quinoa according to package instructions (it will depend on whether the quinoa is pre-rinsed or quick-cooking).
- In a tall glass, layer yogurt and quinoa. Top your parfait off with your currants or cherries.
- OPTIONAL - If you need a bit more sweet flavoring, try adding a touch of honey to the quinoa before layering it into your glass.