Herby Eggplant Fennel Sandwich with Garlic Spread
While we're constantly being reminded of a good breakfast's effect, I feel like our lunches are too often neglected. Last-minute leftover fridge-grabs as we're running (coffee in hand) out the door, result in less than enthusiastic mid-day meal eating. Fast food leaves us feeling sluggish and guilty afterward, and I need hardly mention those "emergency" insta-meals (aka sadness in a micro-safe plastic container).
On the other hand, a good lunch, freshly, lovingly made in the morning can really tip the balance of the day. Our mid-day caloric energy boost can be a mid-day happy boost as well if we'd just set aside a spare 15 minutes in the morning!
Make this your tomorrow mission - get up earlier, set out your clothes the night before, care less about what your hair looks like - whatever it takes! Get those 15 minutes and get yourself into the kitchen to cook up this yummy good day lunch.
Things You'll Need:
- Udi's Gluten-Free Whole-Wheat Bread ( or you know, whichever bread you like! Swap with a Thomas New York Style Bagel to make your sandwich vegan.)
- Teta Foods Garlic Spread
- Thick Slice of Eggplant
- Two Thin Length-Wise Slices of Fennel Bulb
- A Handful of Grape or Cherry Tomatoes
- Fresh Rosemary, Chopped
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Sea Salt
- Black Pepper
How to Use Them:
- Toast bread. Heat olive oil in a pan over medium/high heat.
- Cut a thick slice of eggplant and two thin slices of fennel bulb (long-ways). Slice a handful of grape tomatoes in four length-wise slices a piece. Chop a sprig of fresh rosemary.
- Get your eggplant and veggies on the pan. Salt and pepper them. Stir tomatoes occasionally. Flip fennel after browned. Sprinkle eggplant with half of your chopped rosemary. Press with a spatula.
- Tomatoes and fennel will need less time than your eggplant. Remove them when they've achieved an even golden browning. Flip eggplant and sprinkle with the rest of the rosemary. Press with a spatula. Remove thoroughly once soft and and golden.
- Turn off heat and place toast in pan for a quick sear. Spread both with garlic sauce, top with eggplant, then fennel, then tomatoes.
- Wrap it up in tinfoil.
- Enjoy your lunch!