Fruits & Vegetables: Essential For Your Diet
Fruits and vegetables are essential for your diet, but receiving the recommended 5-9 servings of fruits and vegetables a day seems impossible! Let's discuss how you can adopt fruits and vegetables in every single meal (and snack) of the day.
Breakfast: the most important meal of the day. Try concocting a breakfast with plenty of fruits and vegetables based on these recipe ideas:
- A yogurt smoothie with frozen fruit and orange juice. If you have leftovers, put a stick in it and freeze to make a frozen fruit pop.
- Make your pancake batter healthier with apple slices and fruit flavored applesauce.
- Add blueberries, strawberries, or cranberries to your cereal or oatmeal.
- Scrambled eggs with mushrooms, onions, and zucchini can be topped with lots of salsa.
- Your favorite fruit juice or vegetable juice will wash everything down just right.
- Fresh fruit in yogurt.
- If you'se never tried a chocolate-dipped banana, now's the time!
- Freeze-dried fruit may become a new favorite.
Tired of salad day after day after day? Look at these options:
- A dill pickle or fresh fruit provide nutrition and taste instead of potato chips.
- A bean tostada with lots of lettuce, olives, salsa, and tomatoes is healthy and delicious.
- Sweet potatoes make the perfect french fries without the hydrogenation and calories.
- Instead of mayonnaise, try mashed avocado as a sandwich spread. Add healthy fillers on your sandwich like cucumbers, spinach, sprouts, mushrooms, tomatoes, and cheese.
- Don't turn up your nose to vegetarian substitutions for your hot dog and hamburger choices until you'se tried them.
- Bean chili can provide the perfect topping or eaten as a main entree.
- Cheese and crackers
- Sliced apples
- Celery with peanut butter
- Celery with low-fat cream cheese
- Baby carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, or grape tomatoes with a fat-free dressing
- Try hummus and baked pita chips
- Roasted vegetables
- A variety of fruits and vegetables with low-fat dipping sauce
- Guacamole with tortilla chips
- Frozen fruits
The end to a perfect day can include healthy and delicious food, such as:
- Mashed cauliflower or mashed sweet potatoes are new twists to the old favorite mashed potatoes.
- Vegetarian pizza. You could load it with fresh mushrooms, olives, peppers, tomatoes, and artichoke hearts.
- Add broccoli or pureed carrots to the macaroni and cheese.
- Add zucchini, squash, or spinach to your spaghetti sauce, lasagna, tostadas, or quiches.
- Dark, leafy lettuce is best for salads.
- Sun dried fruits add the perfect topping to almost any entree.
- Mushrooms and onions can be added to almost any dish.
- Try a banana muffin or zucchini muffin or banana bread.
- Angel food cake can be topped with strawberries or blueberries and fat-free whipped cream.
- Add fruit to low-fat frozen yogurt or low-fat ice cream.