5 Food Groups Whole Wheat Wrap
By Jessica Corwin MPH RDN More Blogs by This AuthorFrom the Dietitian's Dish Blog Series
I always enjoy the lull after the holiday season. I mean, of course I adore the time devoted to holiday parties and family fun, but by January 1st I am usually ready for a break. Time to enjoy the peace and quiet of life blanketed in a fresh coat of snow.
As April approaches that enjoyment has transitioned to the excitement of spring! I love this time of year - watching the trees slowly bud and the flowers begin to blossom. It truly feels magical. Year after year, I continue to feel reinvigorated by this beautiful season ready to clean, garden, and get back into the social swing of things with family and friends.
This is excellent for my physical fitness as I am certainly moving much more, but when it comes to those long evenings cooking in the kitchen... well, if that sun is shining, I become a bit antsy to head outdoors and soak it up! Thankfully, we can still enjoy delicious and nutritious meals without taking a ton of time out of the day. In fact, this wrap has become one of our mealtime staples - whether lunch or dinner - as it can be whipped up in mere minutes! Especially - if you already have hard-boiled eggs on hand.
I must give credit to Ellie Krieger for this recipe, a registered dietitian who has been featured on the Food Network and is now on the Cooking Channel with her show "Healthy Appetite", as she continues to provide endless inspiration and delicious meals for our household. I encourage you to check out her show and cooking books for some fabulous meal ideas! Until then, I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we did!
Whole Grain Egg and Avocado Wrap
I absolutely love not only how simple this recipe is, but how nutritious it is. It is chock-full of whole foods with a balance of all of the food groups we need. We have our whole grains, fruit (surprise! Avocado is a fruit.), veggies, and our lean protein. If you served this with a glass of calcium rich milk (animal or plant based), you will be hitting all of the food groups just as MyPlate encourages us.
Ingredients (Serves 2)
- 2 whole grain wraps (I love the wraps Flat-Out! makes.)
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and sliced
- 1 avocado, washed and diced
- 1/2 cucumber (about 1 cup), washed, peeled, and cut into strips
- 2 vine-ripened plum tomatoes, washed and sliced
- 2 tsp sweet Thai chili sauce
- If you do not have hard boiled eggs on hand, boil these first.
- Lay out each whole grain wrap on a dinner plate.
- Top each wrap with 1 diced egg, 1/2 diced avocado, 2-3 strips cucumber, 1 sliced tomato, and 1 teaspoon of sweet thai chili sauce.
- You can use a spoon or knife to slightly mix the sauce with the ingredients if you would like.
- Wrap the ingredients up tightly. Serve and enjoy!