Diet Portions of Mad Men
In the ‘60’s there was a book written called The Ugly American, if that book were to be written today it would have to be called The Obese American. We have super-sized our meals until we now are the super-sized. Our portions have completely gotten out of hand. As an example a slice of carrot cake at the Cheesecake Factory contains a whopping 1,560 calories. The reason our meals contain so many calories is that the portion size has grown by leaps and bound. That carrot cake was a 14 oz piece! So we are going to be concerned not so much by calories but by portion size.
Here are some did-you-knows that are eye openers!
- American’s are getting bigger. Since 1960 till 2000 we gained only an inch in height but 25 pounds in weight!
- Yankee Stadium was built in the 1920’s with 82,000 seats; the remodeled version has only 49,000 seats.
- In just three years, the exact same chocolate chip cookie recipe on the back of the semi-sweet chocolate bag went from making 100 cookies to 60 cookies.
- A bagel in 1960 was the size of a yoyo. Now the average bagel is 21/2 to 3 times that size.
- A single serving potato chip bag was 1 ounce in the 60’s. Now a single serving size is somewhere between 2-4 ounces.
Here are some common portion size differences between 1960 and 2000.
- Muffin then 2-3 ounces now 5-7 ounces
- Coca-Cola bottle then 6.5 fluid ounces now 20 fluid ounces
- Pasta entrée then 1.5 cups now 3 cups
- Chocolate Bar then 1 ounce now 1.5-8 ounces
There is a huge difference between serving size, using the food pyramid guidelines and the portions that we put on our plates.
A bread serving would be 1/6 of a bagel or a muffin.
Let’s look at the calorie difference between a regular and super size of a few common foods.
Soft Drink 8 oz. 100 calories 20 oz. 250 calories
Hamburger Burger King small 2.4 ounces Double Whopper
320 calories 920 calories
Vanilla Ice Cream 270 calories 810 calories
Hagen-Dazs 1 scoop – ½ cup 3 scoops – 1 1/2 cups
French Fries McDonald’s Small 210 calories Large 540 calories
Popcorn – Movie Theatre Small 7 cups 400 calories Large 20 C. 1160 cal.
Is there any wonder why we weigh 25 pounds more than we used to? As far as our health is concerned, bigger is not better in regards to portion size.