Turkish Chicken Stew
By Sue Serves 6
This recipe may look daunting simply because of the long list of ingredients, but don't let that fool you. All the ingredients are easy to find and are added to the pot all at once with very little prep. Truly fix it and forget it.
Print Friendly View
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 teaspoons Red Pepper Flakes
- 3 teaspoons kosher salt
- 4 skinless chicken thighs (about 4 pounds)
- 1.94 lb canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1¾ lb canned whole peeled tomatoes with juices, broken up
- ½ cup currants
- 8 medium carrots, cut into 11/2-inch pieces
- 3 medium red onions, halved and cut into wedges
You may also need:
Combine the allspice, red pepper flakes, and 3 teaspoons salt in a small bowl.
Season the chicken thighs with half the salt mixture and place in a 5-quart slow cooker.
Toss the chickpeas, tomatoes, currants, carrots, and onions with the remaining spiced salt. Pour the vegetables over the turkey. Cover and cook on high for 6 hours or on low for 7 to 8 hours.
Spoon the vegetables and broth into bowls. Remove and discard the chicken bones, and place the meat on top of the vegetables.
You must be logged in to comment or leave notes on this recipe!