Adult Grilled Cheese Sandwich
By Sue Serves 6
So gooey, so Gouda! This cheese melts well and adds to the wonderful taste of this adults only sandwich!
Print Friendly View
- 3 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp Unsalted butter, room temperature
- 12 ⅓-inch-thick slices country white bread or sourdough bread
- ¾ lb thinly sliced smoked ham, divided
- ⅗ lb Gouda cheese, thinly sliced, divided
- 3 large handfuls frisee, torn into bite-size pieces (about 3 cups), divided
You may also need:
Kitchen Knife, Skillet, Spatula, Spoon
Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and saute 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and cook until onion is very tender and golden, stirring frequently (about 25 minutes longer). Season with salt and pepper. Cool slightly.
Butter 2 bread slices. Place bread, buttered side down, on platter.
Divide onion, ham, cheese, and frisee between bread slices. Top each with another bread slice. Be sure to butter top slices.
Heat another large non-stick skillet over medium-heat. Add sandwiches and cook until bread is golden brown and cheese melts, pressing occasionally with spatula (about 4 minutes per side).
Cut sandwiches in half diagonally and serve immediately.
THANK YOU for specifying cutting the sandwich diagonally! Seriously, it makes the sandwich so much better. I am not being facetious.
I agree. It gives you so much more surface area for the cheese to ooze out.
You must be logged in to comment or leave notes on this recipe!