Good Dog! 3 Easy Tricks To Teach Your Pup
Tricks are a great way to bond with your dog, give them a challenge, and teach them something new. Here are three tricks to teach your dog that are fun and easy to do! Have fun!
Teach Your Dog to Roll Over
YOU'LL NEED: A dog that knows how to "sit" & 3 doggie treats.
- Have your dog sit down. Take note of which side your dog is leaning on. That is the side you will encourage your dog to do the "roll over" on.
- Have your dog lie on its side. Use a treat to guide the dog to the "lay down" position. Going toward the side that your dog leans on will make things a bit easier.
- Treat! Once dog lies on its side, reward with a treat.
- Have your dog roll onto its back. Gently encourage the dog to roll on its back with legs up in the air. Try rubbing its belly.
- Treat! Once legs are up, reward with a treat.
- Have your dog roll over. Use another treat to encourage the dog to roll over to his opposite side and say, "Roll Over!" as he does.
- Treat! Once on his other side, reward him with lots of praise and a treat.
Continue to do this until your dog begins to understand that if he rolls to the other side, he will get a treat.Once consistent, use your command: "Roll Over";
Teach Your Dog to High Five
YOU'LL NEED: A dog that knows how to "sit" and a treat.
- Have your dog sit down. Start with your dog in the "sit" position.
- Hold your palm out at your dog's level. Crouch down to your dogs level, hold your treat between your thumb and index finger, and hold your hand with the palm facing your dog.
- Say, "High Five!" Say, "High Five," when your dog hits your hand with its paw (...to get treat. But hey! We'll take that motive for now!)
- Treat! Release your treat once they've tapped your palm.
As your dog gets better at this, raise your hand a bit while your dog is hitting it. For some dogs, learning "Shake" before this trick can help.
Teach Your Dog to Spin (aka. "Dance")
YOU'LL NEED: A treat.
- Get your dog's attention. Take the treat in hand and put it to your dog's nose.
- Let the treat be the guide. Turn your hand in a slow circle, having your dog follow with their nose.
- Name the trick. Say command: "Spin!" or "Dance!"
- Bring the treat up higher while you guide. Hold the treat up higher to have the dog stand on its hind legs and turn around.
Make sure to practice switching directions! Repeat steps above.