Diabetic Weight Loss Diet For Type 2 Diabetes
Diabetes has been clearly linked to being overweight or obese. However, there are safe ways that you can control your blood sugar levels and lose weight. It is important to note that weight loss is never easy, but every pound lost is one step closer to increased overall general health.
There are many foods that are both good for the maintenance and regulation of blood sugar levels that are also smart choices for weight loss.
- Variety is Key: A colorful plate is the easiest and best way to ensure all nutrients that your body needs is consumed. This includes fruits, vegetables, and whole grains.
- Fiber: Fiber is a great food for diabetic individuals. It has also been associated with increased rates of feeling full.
- Calories: Determine the amount of calories you should consume on a daily basis and try to stick at this amount.
Portion control is essential to the regulation and maintenance of overall healthy blood sugar levels. It is also important for the maintenance of a healthy weight. There are many dieting tips for weight loss that include maintenance of healthy blood glucose levels.
- Do not skip meals.
- Eat multiple times per day in smaller portions.
- Eat meals and snacks at regular scheduled times.
- Determine appropriate portion sizes before eating.
The Diabetic Diet: Sweets
There is a common myth about diabetic individuals not being able to consume any sweets. This is not true. Diabetics may consume sweets in moderation in accordance with a healthy diet and lifestyle. The fact is, that sugar is actually a form of carbohydrates and typically will not raise blood sugars any more than starches will. The key is eating sweets in moderation and small portions. There are also some points to keep in mind when choosing sweets to consume.
- Food Labels: Carefully read food labels for the correct amounts sugar contained.
- Substitution: The addition of sweets to a diet can increase blood sugar levels. However, substituting a sweet for another carbohydrate should maintain proper blood glucose levels.
- Blood Sugar Levels: It is important to check blood sugar levels on a regular basis for proper regulation and control.
- Moderation: Again, eat sweets only in moderation.
- Nutritional Management: It is important to manage the nutrition in your diet, and eating sweets in moderation is ok.
Weight loss requires a good bit of patience. It may seem that your diet is going nowhere, but it is important never to give up. Your health is at risk here. Take control of your portions, the types of food, and schedule.
Physical activity is a requirement of any weight loss program. Exercise should be taken at your own pace. It is recommended that at least 30 minutes of physical activity be completed almost every day of the week. Exercise is also capable of aiding in the regulation of blood sugar levels, in addition to burning calories for weight loss. Remember to take exercise at your own pace.