PrEP: Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis to prevent HIV | Abamune
What do Abamune 300 tablets do?
Abamune 300(ABC) is a powerful nucleoside analog reverse transcriptase inhibitor (NRTI) used to treat HIV and AIDS.
Abacavir Tab (Abamune 300 mg by Cipla) is used to treat HIV infection with other medications. Abacavir is a nucleoside analog reverse transcriptase inhibitor (NRTI). It works by slowing down the growth of HIV, the virus that causes AIDS. It is an antiviral drug that is effective against the HIV-1 virus. It acts on an enzyme of the virus called reverse transcriptase, which plays a vital role in its multiplication.
Though Abamune 300 reduces viral load and may slow the progression of the disease, it does not cure the HIV infection.
How should if use Abamune 300?
Use Abamune 300 mg solution as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Abamune 300 solution comes with an extra patient information sheet called a Medication Guide. Read it carefully. Reread it each time you get Abamune solution refilled.
- Abamune 300 solution comes with a warning card that provides information about the recognition of allergic reactions. Carry the warning card of allergy symptoms with you. Tell your health care provider immediately about any side effects you experience while taking Abamune solution.
- Take Abamune 300 solution by mouth with or without food.
- Use a measuring device marked for medicine dosing. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure of how to measure your dose.
- Taking Abamune 300 solution at the same time(s) each day will help you to remember to take it.
- Take Abamune 300 solution on a regular schedule to get the most benefit from it.
- Continue to take Abamune 300 solution even if you feel well. Do not miss any doses.
- If you miss a dose of Abamune 300 solution, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take two doses at once.
- Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Abamune 300 solution.
How does Abamune 300work?
The two medications, Abamune L and lamivudine combined, help prevent HIV from reproducing. HIV is responsible for acquired immune deficiency syndrome as HIV infection destroys CD4 (T) cells, which are essential to the bodys immune system. The immune system is what helps fight infections. Abamune 300 tablets do not cure AIDS or destroy the HIV, but rather delay further damage to the immune system by stopping the production of new viruses Abamune 300 tablets do not reduce the risk of passing the infection to others.
You must continue to take precautions to prevent this from happening as HIV can still be passed on by sexual activity or by contamination with infected blood.
Warnings and precautions
- Abamune L liver failure
- Abamune L renal failure:
Caution. Not recommended in. terminal renal
- Abamune L interactions:A slight decrease in plasma concentration due to: rifampicin, phenobarbital, phenytoin.
Increase clearance of methadone (increase dose if necessary).
Possible interaction not studied with: retinoids.
- Abamune L pregnancy:
Not recommended, no safe use in humans, placental transfer in animals has been demonstrated.
- Abamune L Breastfeeding:
Abamune L and its metabolites are excreted in the milk of lactating rats. Hopefully, these are also excreted in human milk, although this has not been confirmed.
Also, it is recommended that HIV-infected women do not breastfeed their children under any circumstances to prevent HIV transmission.
- Abamune L adverse reactions:
Hypersensitivity: rash, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, dyspnea, cough, fever, lethargy, malaise, headache, elevated PFH, myalgia; anorexia, fatigue
What other drugs will affect Abamune 300?
Tell your doctor about all other medicines you use, especially methadone (Diskettes, Dolophine, Methadose).
There may be other drugs that can interact with Abamune. Tell your doctor about all medications you use. This includes prescription, over-the-counter, vitamin, and herbal products. Do not start a new medication without telling your doctor.
How long should Abamune 300 be taken for?
Abamune 300 helps to control your condition. It does not cure it. However, you will need to take your recommended dosage every day. Do not stop taking your Abamune 300 tablets or alter the dose without consulting with your medical professional.
How should Abamune 300 tablets be stored?