By Sue Serves 4
A perfect use for the bounty of zucchini most gardeners have in the summer months. Make ahead and freeze for a future delicious healthy meal.
Print Friendly View
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 pounds zucchini, diced (about 7 cups diced)
- 6 cups chicken stock, vegetable stock or water
- ¼ cup basmati rice
- Salt to taste
- 1 × Freshly ground pepper
- 1 × Pinch of cayenne
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 × For garnish:
- 2 Tablespoons chopped chives
- 1 small zucchini, sliced paper-thin, tossed with salt and, if desired, lemon juice, and marinated for 15 minutes or longer
- 1 × Garlic croutons (optional)
You may also need:
A Pot, Blender, Bowl, Kitchen Knife, Spoon
You seem to have forgotten to list the curry powder.
Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large, heavy soup pot and add the onion. Cook, stirring, until it is tender, about 5 minutes. Add a generous pinch of salt, the garlic and the zucchini and stir for about a minute, until the garlic smells fragrant. Add the curry powder, stir together, and add the stock or water, the rice and salt to taste. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, cover and simmer 30 minutes. Taste and adjust salt.
Purée the soup with an immersion blender or a food mill or in batches in a blender, taking care to remove the lid or take out the center insert and to cover with a towel to avoid hot splashes. Return to the pot, heat through, add pepper and cayenne to taste and stir in the lemon juice. Serve, garnishing each bowl with paper-thin slices of zucchini, chopped chives and croutons if desired.
You must be logged in to comment or leave notes on this recipe!