By Sue Serves 6
This meatless and gluten free recipe uses zucchini strips instead of noodles for a delicious all in one meal.
Print Friendly View
- 1 large zucchini, cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- ¾ teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- ¾ cup chopped onion (about 1 medium onion)
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- ¾ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- ½ teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
- ⅛ teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1 cup (8 ounces) part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 × Cooking spray
- 2 ½ cups (10 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
You may also need:
A Pot, Aluminum Foil, Bowl, Butter Knife, Kitchen Knife, Oven, Refrigerator, Skillet, Spoon
Preheat oven to 350°.
Arrange zucchini slices in a single layer on several layers of paper towels. Sprinkle evenly with 1/2 teaspoon salt; let stand 15 minutes.
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic to pan; sauté 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Add remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, oregano, red pepper, and tomatoes; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Combine basil, ricotta, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon black pepper in a small bowl.
Spread 1/2 cup tomato mixture into the bottom of a 13 x 9–inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Arrange 4 zucchini slices over tomato mixture; top with ½ cup of ricotta mixture; cover with 4 more zucchini slices. Spread 1 cup tomato mixture over zucchini; repeat layering until zucchini are gone.
Top evenly with mozzarella. Cover with foil coated with cooking spray. (at this point freeze it and use it for a easy meal later. Let it thaw in refrigerator for 6 hours before baking)
Bake at 350° for 35 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 25 minutes or until browned. Cool for 5 minutes.
You must be logged in to comment or leave notes on this recipe!