Are Fortified Foods Better Than Vitamin Pills?
Test you nutrition savvy with these True or False questions:
- Everyone can benefit from a once-daily multivitamin or multi-mineral supplement.
- Supplements should only be taken before breakfast.
- True.A basic multivitamin, selected for your age and sex, can provide many vitamins and minerals to fill nutritional gaps in your diet.
- False.Many physicians suggest that supplements should be taken ideally with the largest meal of the day.This will ensure the absorption and minimize upset stomachs.
No doubt this article is about vitamin supplements versus fortified foods.And no doubt vitamin pills are popular because about 37 percent of Americans take a multivitamin supplement everyday. What are vitamin supplements and fortified foods?Which is better?Which holds more nutrients?Are supplements or fortified foods dangerous?Who needs vitamin pills?What are examples of natural foods that have nutrients?I will answer these questions to help you to make healthier and better decisions so you can have a safe and healthy life!
What are fortified foods and vitamin pills?
- Fortified foods are foods that have been mechanically processed with vitamins and/or minerals.Foods are fortified to enhance its specific purpose.
- Vitamin pills supply you with some vitamins and minerals, but they don't provide all of the components of food necessary for good and proper health.The average person needs forty-two nutrients each day and vitamins supplements only supply a fraction of these.
Which is better: fortified foods vs. vitamin pills?
- Fortified foods are chemically enhanced, mechanically processed, and aren't the best choice for your health.
- Vitamin pills are only intended to enhance, but not take the place of, a healthy diet.This is because food offers healthier nutrients than vitamins and minerals offer.When taken with a healthy diet, vitamin pills can relieve the symptoms of the common cold, supercharge the immune system, and enhance digestion.
Which holds more nutrients?
- Fortified foods contain more nutrients, but they're processed and an unnatural source of vitamins.
- Vitamins are organic compounds that our bodies use for a variety of metabolic processes in very small amounts.
Are supplements or fortified foods dangerous?
- Fortified foods are processed with added nutrients, and while they may seem like a perfect choice, they can still be dangerous to your health.Natural foods are the best choice for you to get those healthy nutrients.
- Vitamins are made to work in isolation, when the nutrients in natural food are designed to work together.Also, when vitamins are taken in large doses, side effects are sure to arise.Some side effects are: fatigue, diarrhea, hair loss, kidney stones, liver or nerve damage, birth defects, or even death.
Who needs vitamin pills?
- Housebound people
- Pregnant women
- People who are over 70
- People who have: heart disease, arthritis and other inflammatory diseases, osteoporotic bone conditions, high blood pressure, high triglyceride levels, and high LDL (bad) cholesterol.
What are examples of natural foods that have nutrients?
- Lean meats
- Whole grains
[sniplet Vita Female]