You could earn SmartPoints on this page!SmartPoint Coin

School Locker Rooms and Mold — an article on the Smart Living Network
January 9, 2010 at 8:17 PMComments: 0 Faves: 0

School Locker Rooms and Mold


Once our children begin middle school and high school, where physical education is part of their curriculum, the risk of locker room mold exposure can become a serious problem for children with allergies.

Taking showers in moisture filled locker rooms, and putting on moist gym clothes, as well as eating food left in lockers, is the perfect atmosphere for the growth of mold.

Mold is found almost everywhere and it will grow on virtually all substances, providing moisture is present. There are molds that grow on paper, carpet, walls, lockers, locker room floors, tubs, showers, wood, and foods just to name a few areas. As moisture accumulates in school locker rooms, mold growth will occur, predominantly when the moisture problem remains untreated. Because there is no practical way to eliminate child's exposure to mold completely, it's vital that we learn how to eliminate the effects it can have on our children if they suffer from an allergy to mold.

Children suffering from mold allergies experience eye irritation as well as irritation in the nose, skin, throat, and lungs. This can lead to a severe allergic reaction even hospitalization.Even for a healthy child repeated exposure to the constant build up of mold in the locker room can become a health risk.

Locker rooms should always be kept as clean and dry as possible to reduce mold, but that's largely out of our control.What we can control, however, is our child's risk of an allergy reaction to the mold bacteria.

Custodians are careful to clean and mop showers at the end of the day, but they don't always get the floors perfectly dry, and moisture breeds mold. The use of industrial disinfectants can be an advantage in preventing the growth of additional mold and help to destroy the mold already present.

Photo Credit: [rb]

More from Smarty Others Are Reading


Comment on the Smart Living Network

Site Feedback