6 Great Reasons To Give Your Pets Fish Oil
All four of my fur kids - the cats, Casey and Oliver, and the dogs, Romeo and Izzy - get one fish oil supplement a day with their dinner.
Well, I’ll tell you!
Just as with people, research has shown that fish oil really can improve the health of dogs and cats! Below are just 6 of the ways it does.
- Your Pet’s Skin: Probably the most popular reason for giving a pet a fish oil supplement, the anti-inflammatory affects it provides help keep skin healthy and fight skin allergy symptoms
- Your Pet’s Heart: Not only do the anti-inflammatory benefits of fish oil protect skin from allergens, they can help keep the heart of your cat or dog healthy too! Fish oil is commonly used for the prevention and treatment of cardiovascular disorders and high cholesterol in pets.
- Your Pet’s Immunity: The abundance of omega 3 in fish oil supplements help protect the cells of your cat or dog and prevent the cell mutations which can lead to cancer. Your pet’s kidneys which help filter out the toxins they encounter in their food, water and the environment are also benefited by a daily fish oil supplement. In fact, studies have even shown fish oil can slow the progression of kidney disease in pets with this problem!
- Your Pet’s Joints: Inflammation is the root cause of joint aching in osteoarthritis. By giving your cat or dog a daily fish oil supplement, you are supplying their body with a wealth of anti-inflammatory nutrients, preventing or reducing the affects of arthritis.
- Your Pet’s Digestion: Omega-3 helps support optimal absorption of nutrients and the anti-inflammatory benefits of fish oil prevent disease like IBD and colitis in your pets.
- Your Pet’s Mental Health: Recently, studies have shown huge mental health benefits for people taking fish oil supplements. The omega 3 helps improve circulation and oxygen flow to the brain and can even improve symptoms of depression and anxiety! These same benefits apply to our pets.
Add a Supplement To Your Pet’s Daily Regimen!
According to the 2011-2012 American Pet Products Association National Pet Owners Survey, 10% of dogs receive a vitamin/supplement, a substantial increase from 2% in 2008! Interested in starting a fish oil regimen with YOUR pets? Wonderful! Just be sure to consult with your vet first for the optimal dosage.
Higher dosage might be needed to treat certain diseases and fish oil may not be a good idea at all for pets on blood thinning medications. Also, keep in mind that benefits take some time before they will be evident. Be patient and consistent and you’ll see!
Got the dosage figured out?
Rather than trying to get them to swallow a capsule, simply cut or pierce it and drain the oil onto their food. Your pets won’t know the difference - except for the yummy fish smell! ;)
Dog Fancy Magazine, 2012